Now that spring is here, you may be out shopping for outdoor furniture for the patio or deck. After all, nothing beats sitting out in the evening, enjoying the gardens that surround you in your yard, and anticipating that steak you smell as it sizzles on the barbecue. Before you take the plunge and buy, think about what you would like your outdoor furnishings to do. Some of the things to think about when you’re doing your shopping are:
- Can it be easily stored during the winter? If you have cold snowy Wicker Deck Furniture winters or very wet ones, then you’ll want to store your deck furniture where it will not get damaged from the cold and wet. Can it be easily stowed away, and do you have space to store it? If not, is it made of durable materials that can take some bad weather? Can you find a way to cover and protect it throughout the winter?
- Think of the weight of the furniture if you will be moving it indoors or to a basement in the winter. Some wood furniture, such as that made of Australian jarra wood is sturdy and can take most weather, but is extremely heavy to move. Would it be better to look at folding furniture made of tubular steel or aluminum that does not take up much storage space?
- Look for furniture that can easily be moved around. You may want to shift the position of your deck table and chairs to take advantage of either sun or shade. Chairs for reclining should be portable and easily moved. Some of the best alternatives have wheels to make it easier to relocate them. If you entertain outdoors, then you will want to have chairs and small tables that can be moved around to accommodate your guests.
- If you have a very sunny balcony, deck or patio, then an umbrella or canopy of some kind is essential. Not only will the shade of the canopy make it more comfortable in hot weather, but keeping the sun off your furniture will extend its life.
- Comfort is another basic consideration when choosing your outdoor furniture. After all, you use it for relaxation and leisure, so the more comfortable it is, the better. Look for chairs that come with cushions that can be removed. Try out the lounge chair before you buy to see if it is comfortable and of the right size for you. Check out those zero gravity chairs for the ultimate in relaxing comfort.
- Look for materials that are not only sturdy and comfortable, but ones that can add some interesting color to your deck and patio. Perhaps wicker chairs with boldly patterned cushions would suit you and your space. Colorful additions like cushions, table mats, ceramic or pottery accessories and pots of flowering annuals will all add to the ambiance of your outdoor living space.